Friday, December 02, 2005

Competition

I was looking for content to this blog, and I came accross this interesting article about competition. It is inspiring to know there are like minded people out there, willing to stand for their convictions and live by their moral code. I am very grateful to cross paths with people like Ms. Giovanni.


Competition

By Katharine C. Giovanni
Today's topic? Competition.
I can't tell you how many phone calls we get about this topic. It's number one on everyone's list ... who is the competition? How do I beat them? They're going to take all the clients!!!
NOT TRUE. Plenty of business out there for everyone folks.
Let's take a look at the realtors in your town. How many are there? I'll bet you five dollars that none of them are stepping on each other's toes and that there is plenty of business for them all. One company couldn’t possibly handle all the business in one town … they would be overwhelmed and would soon be out of business. Trust me on this one … this has happened to a few clients of mine. They were one of the only concierge in town and advertised their business ... and WHAM! It worked!! However, they soon became overwhelmed with all the business and had to close down for a few months while they re-organized. Clearly one company can't possibly handle all the business.

Here’s another way to look at it … what would McDonalds be if Burger King hadn't come on the scene??

Wendy's? Taco Bell?

Think they spend their time sending each other hate mail?? I was first! You can't set up your restaurant! It was my idea!!!

See my point? PLENTY of business for everyone. One town can certainly handle more than one company offering the same basic services with no problem at all.

I think competition is good for the soul. It forces us to do better and offer a better product. I also firmly believe in building relationships and working together towards the common good. Working together will get us farther than working apart.

And yes ... I practice what I preach. I've actually trained a few of my competitors (although I'll admit I didn't know it at the time) and have even given them some referrals. Should I get mad every time someone publishes another book on the Concierge industry"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home